Our curriculum will be targeted to meet the needs of our children and their families. It will follow the National Curriculum to equip pupils with a wide range of knowledge and skills, enabling them to succeed and preparing them to be active citizens and leaders.
Our curriculum will therefore focus on the core subjects such as English, Maths and Sciences, and will have very stretching targets and ambitions to ensure all pupils reach their potential. We will also offer subjects to help set pupils up for future success, such as Computing and Mandarin Chinese.
To enhance their learning, our children will constantly be supported to focus on the notions of ‘Leadership’, ‘Collaboration’, and ‘Citizenship’. Our pupils will feel a sense of ownership over their learning and the way it impacts our community.
What will it look like?
- Rigorous, supporting, challenging.
- Transitional: clear links between our Primary, Secondary, and Sixth Form Phases.
- Community: parents/carers will be able to attend classes/workshops. Our children deserve the best, and so do their families!
- Impact: we will enable our children to work on meaningful projects which will impact their lives and the lives of others around them.
At the Citizen School, we have three key curriculum aims that enable all learners to become:
Successful Learners - by providing a broad, balanced and inspiring curriculum promotes learning and excellent progress in school and beyond.
Confident individuals - by providing opportunities for learners to develop self confidence and aspire to achieve excellence in school and beyond.
Responsible citizens - by providing a curriculum which promotes collaboration, respect and responsibility for themselves and others in school and beyond.
Broad and balanced – Our curriculum introduces learners to a wide range of knowledge, understanding, skills and experiences. Each child is allocated sufficient time relevant to learners’ age and experiences.
Relevant – Subjects are taught in a way that relates to the learners’ lives and experiences now and in the future.
Memorable – Our curriculum provides memorable experiences and rich opportunities for high quality, active learning for richer personal development and well-being.
Well-matched – Subjects are taught in such a way that matches learners’ individual needs aptitudes and learning styles, adequately challenging and supporting them.
Every child at the Citizen School is entitled to a curriculum that:
- Provides well-planned and meaningful learning.
- Is enjoyable, challenging, engaging, motivating, and encourages aspiration and ambition.
- Responds to individual needs, personalising learning to enable all children to achieve to the highest level.
- Gives access to new technologies that enhance learning and encourage independence and self-motivation.
- Develops high levels of skills in all areas of learning.
- Enables children to be leaders, in order to play a positive role within our community